Living in Markland Wood
The Markland Home Association is one of the strongest ratepayers associations in Toronto. There are approximately one thousand two hundred homes in Markland Wood and 85 to 90% of the homeowners support their residents association. The Markland Homes Association organizes and promotes many worthwhile endeavours including the annual Christmas Caravan, All Candidates Nights meetings, and a scholarship program for residents of Markland Wood who are going on to University. The Markland Home Association also publishes a monthly newsletter called the “Marklander,” which keeps residents informed about the goings on in their neighbourhood.
History of Markland Wood
The land on which the Markland Wood neighbourhood is built was originally granted to John Silverthorn in 1810. Silverthorn was an experienced millright and immediately built a saw mill and a grist mill on the banks of the Etobicoke River skirting his property. The Silverthorn Mills were the focal point of this community as local farmers brought their grain to the grist mill to be ground into flour and their logs to the saw mill to be cut into lumber. The present day “Mill Road” was a shortcut used by the farmers on their way to the mills. The Silverthorn Mills operated until 1870 when the water flow in the Etobicoke River decreased to the point where it could no longer power the mills. The Silverthorn family then turned their attention to farming. They proved to be as adept at farming as they were at milling, and even sold tomatoes from their farm to the nearby Campbell Soup Company. The Silverthorn family saw the city at their doorstep when they decided to sell their farm to developer Mark Cavotti in 1958. Cavotti’s associates honoured him by naming this development Markland Wood. Thus a neighbourhood was born.
Homes in Markland Wood
The Markland Wood housing stock was built between 1960 and 1962. These houses consist of detached two-storey Georgian and Regency revival designs mixed in with contemporary bungalow and split-level designed houses. Markland Wood houses are situated on good size lots with private driveways and double garages. There are many mature trees surrounding these properties and some of the backyards even contain apple trees from the old Silverthorn farm. The houses on Markland Drive back onto the Markland Wood Country Club and the Etobicoke River Valley.
Lifestyle in Markland Wood
The Markland Wood Plaza is located at the south-west corner of Bloor Street and Mill Road. This local shopping plaza is anchored by a national supermarket and a McDonalds restaurant that was specially designed with input from the Markland Homes Association. This shopping plaza also has a drug store, dry cleaner, pastry shop, bank, hairstylist, flower shop and a veterinarian clinic. The Burnhamthorpe Mall, located at 666 Burnhamthorpe Drive, features a popular food market, a post office, a pet store, medical and dental clinics and a family restaurant.
Homes in Markland Wood
The Bloordale Community School, located at 10 Toledo Road, offers a myriad of programs for children as well as adults. The adjoining Bloordale Park is the home field of the Bloordale Baseball League which offers house league, inter league, Intercounty and all-star programs. Bloordale Park also has tennis court facilities. Millwood Park located off Bloor Street, has tennis courts and a baseball diamond. This park is scheduled to receive a new playground area. The Markland Wood Country Club borders Markland Drive and together with the Etobicoke River Valley, forms a nice natural barrier for this neighbourhood. This club offers golf as well as social memberships.
Transportation in Markland Wood
Bus service along Mill Road, Markland Drive and Bloor Street connect passengers to the Kipling TTC and Go Transit stations. Motorists can quickly access the Burnhamthorpe on-ramp to Highway 427 which links up with other Toronto commuter highways. For those travelling out of the city, Pearson International Airport is only five minutes away.