LIVING IN GRAYDON
The Graydon neighbourhood is built on a high plateau of land that is part of the wondrous hills and dales produced by the natural contours of the Don River Valley. The hilly terrain that forms the western reaches of this neighbourhood overlooks the picturesque Donalda Golf Course. The east boundary of this neighbourhood is bordered by the Don Valley Parkway.
Middle income families occupy the houses on the crest of the hill at the southern half of this neighbourhood. The apartments at the north end of this neighbourhood, off of Graydon Hall Drive are tenanted by lower income families, many of whom have recently emigrated to Canada.
HISTORY OF GRAYDON
Graydon’s first landowners were the Duncan family who put down roots in this area during the mid 1800’s. Henry Duncan the family patriarch was elected to the York Township Council in 1870 and served as the Town Reeve for a number of years. It was Henry’s son David who farmed the land where the Graydon neighbourhood is now located.
David Duncan was a well known dairy farmer and breeder of Jersey cattle. His gingerbread style farmhouse, known as “Moatfield” was built in 1865. It was moved to its current location at 125 Moatfield Drive in the 1970’s when the present day neighbourhood was being developed.
The other historic house in this neighbourhood is Graydon Hall from which this neighbourhood derives its name. Graydon Hall is located at 185 Graydon Hall Drive. This English Manor style house was built in 1936 by financier Henry Rupert Bain. It’s quite likely Graydon Hall was named after the “Gray” family who from the 1830’s until 1914, operated a grist mill on the banks of the “Don” River where the Donalda Golf Course is located today.
HOMES IN GRAYDON
Graydon’s winding streets and culs-de-sac are well treed and contain a wide mix of housing, which was built in the 1970’s. Viewing this neighbourhood from Don Mills Road the houses appear as if they are wrapped around the hillside. Front and back porch balconies are common features of these houses, designed to take advantage of the magnificent views and lush greenery in the valley below.
Graydon Hall Drive and Fenelon Drive are ringed with high-rise rental apartment buildings. The only condominium apartment building is at number seventy-five Graydon Hall Drive.
LIFESTYLE IN GRAYDON
Graydon residents are a short drive from the Parkwoods Village Shopping Centre, located at 1277 York Mills Road. The mix of stores here includes food shops, a flower and fruit market, a bakery, a hairstylist , a dry cleaner, drug, video, bargain and dollar stores, a shoe repair shop a bank, restaurants and professional offices.
The Don Mills Shopping Centre, located at the intersection of Don Mills Road and Lawrence Avenue, includes approximately one hundred and fifty retailers. This centre is anchored by a major department store, a national retailer, and a full service hardware store.
RECREATION IN GRAYDON
Graydon Park provides a large island of green space at the summit of this neighbourhood above Graydon Hall Drive. This park features tennis courts and a children’s playground. The Graydon Hall Manor Club is accessed from the courtyard of Graydon Hall Manor. Admission to this club is free for tenants in some of the local buildings. Facilities include a large swimming pool, an exercise room and a sauna.
The Duncan Mill, Spinney, and Silverdale greenbelts, located on the periphery of this neighbourhood, feature scenic trails that are enjoyed by walkers, joggers and cyclists.
TRANSPORTATION IN GRAYDON
Bus service runs along Graydon Hall Drive and York Mills Road, connecting passengers to the York Mills station on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line. The Don Mills Road bus connects passengers to the Pape station on the Bloor-Danforth subway line.
On-ramps to the Don Valley Parkway are located at the south end of this neighbourhood along York Mills Road. Motorists travelling south on the Don Valley Parkway can get to downtown Toronto in approximately twenty minutes. The Don Valley Parkway north is ideal for commuters travelling outside the city as well as providing a quick link to Highway 401.