LIVING IN CLARKSON
The Clarkson Village logo is a man riding a horse and buggy back when Clarkson was a busy commercial corridor. Today, the main arterial road through the village is Lakeshore Road West and cars are the preferred mode of transportation. The community hub is situated at Lakeshore Road West and Clarkson Road. The Clarkson Village Business Improvement Area has done a nice job creating a main street small village vibe along Lakeshore Road.
Clarkson Village is located in the southwestern section of Mississauga. The shoreline of Lake Ontario forms the southern boundary of this neighbourhood. This is where the Rattray Marsh is situated. Rattray a popular nature reserve is a well known birding site. A boardwalk trail twists and winds through this preserve. Commuters enjoy convenient access to public transit including the Clarkson Go Station and MiWay bus service on Lakeshore Road West. These transportation options have made Clarkson a favourite spot for commuters working in Toronto to the east and Hamilton to the west. The QEW highway that forms Clarkson’s north boundary provides motorists with numerous commuting options.
HISTORY OF CLARKSON
The British Crown and Mississauga First Nations consummated a land deal in 1805. Soon after parcels of land were granted to United Empire Loyalists. Gradually more settlers arrived and smaller parcels of land were made available. One of these settlers was Warren Clarkson who opened the areas first general store in 1835 on what is now Clarkson Road North. In 1855 the Great Western Railway railway opened a service station behind Clarkson’s store. The area became a hub of transportation, trade and commerce and would take on the name Clarkson’s Corners.
By the 1850s Clarkson had become known for its outstanding fruit and vegetable farms especially their strawberries which were shipped by railway and earned Clarkson the title as the “Strawberry Capital of Ontario. In the 1860s Clarksons sons William and Henry took over the general store. William would open a post office in the store in 1875, resulting in the area officially being recognized as Clarkson. In 1974 Clarkson Village was amalgamated with the City of Mississauga ushering in a new era for this community.
HOMES IN CLARKSON
Rattray Park Estates south of Lakeshore Road is one of the most exclusive real estate pockets in Mississauga. The winding streetscape includes large houses on premium sized lots with lots of mature trees. This enclave of homes abuts lake Ontario and the Rattray Marsh Conservation Area.
North of Lakeshore Road you can find pretty much any type of home from new and older townhomes to ranch-style bungalows, Colonial revivals, and custom new homes.
LIFESTYLE IN CLARKSON
There is a strong sense of community in Clarkson Village centred around Lakeshore Road West and Clarkson Road which serves as a main street with a small town village feel. The Clarkson Village business improvement association sponsors events such as Halloween in the Village and Christmas in the Village bringing the community together.
RECREATION IN CLARKSON
The Clarkson Community Centre located at 2475 Truscott Drive features an ice arena, a large gymnasium, a public library, multi-purpose community meeting room, and an outdoor children’s water play area. Rattray Marsh Conservation area and the Lake Ontario waterfront provide a myriad of recreational opportunities including hiking and birding. Jack Darling Memorial Park also on Lake Ontario has a children’s playground with splash pad, a dog park and picnic areas.
ARTS IN CLARKSON
The Mississauga Living Arts Centre has a gallery and resident arts program, a live performance theatre, winter and March break and summer camps and a myriad of year-round programs and events for children and adults.There is also a restaurant and facility rental options.
TRANSPORTATION IN CLARKSON
Clarkson commuters appreciate the convenience of having their own Go Station at 1110 Southdown Road. This station is part of the Lakeshore West train line and doubles as a bus station with Midway bus service.