LIVING IN CARLETON VILLAGE
Carleton Village has always been a working class neighbourhood. Today, it is populated mostly by Portuguese, Italian, and Asian families. Carleton Village was designated as an historical district by the City of Toronto, in 1989. This recognition has helped raise the profile of this quiet, west end neighbourhood.
HISTORY OF CARLETON VILLAGE
Carleton Village is named after Guy Carleton, who served as the first Govenor of Canada, in 1768.
The spelling of the Carleton Village name, with or without an “e”, has been contentious since the areas inception in the 1850’s. Even today, the historical street markers in the Village spell Carleton without an “e”, while the local public school spells Carleton with an “e” in its name.
By the 1860’s, despite its spelling controversy, Carleton Village had emerged as a prosperous railway and industrial centre.
Carleton Village amalgamated with the Town of West Toronto in 1889. Then in 1909, this district was annexed by the City of Toronto.
HOMES IN CARLETON VILLAGE
Some of the old labourers’ cottages’ on Old Weston Road date back to the 1850’s and 1860’s. However, the majority of Carleton Village homes were built between the 1880’s and 1920’s.
Carleton’s housing stock is a mix of detached, semi-detached, and attached Victorian-style homes. The front facades of some of these houses have been refaced with new brick, creating a modern look that is in sharp contrast to the older houses in the neighbourhood.
LIFESTYLE IN CARLETON VILLAGE
Some national retail stores have recently moved into the area around the intersection of Keele and St. Clair. Their close proximity to Carleton Village is an added convenience for shoppers in this neighbourhood.
The local shopping district on St. Clair Avenue is called St. Clair Gardens. It features a large variety of shops and services. There are many cosy cafes and restaurants along this route.
Davenport Road contains a limited number of convenience type shopping for residents located at the south end of the neighbourhood.
RECREATION IN CARLETON VILLAGE
Earlscourt Park and the adjacent recreation centre attract residents from the entire St. Clair West district. Their facilities include: an indoor/outdoor pool, a gymnasium, an artificial ice rink, tennis courts, a seniors lounge and day care.
Wadsworth Park is smaller and less busy. It’s perfect for young children as it contains both a playground and a wading pool.
The St. Clair/Silverthorn branch of the Toronto Public Library has programs for children and preschoolers.
TRANSPORTATION IN CARLETON VILLAGE
The St. Clair streetcar and the Davenport bus connect commuters to stations on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line.
Carleton Village’s main arterial roadways include St. Clair Avenue and Davenport Road. These roads provide motorists with easy access to all parts of the city.