Loading...

Complete to have SHANE call you back

Bennington Heights

Show Past Listings Show Current Listings
Hide Developments Developments Icon Show Developments Developments Icon

LIVING IN  BENNINGTON HEIGHTS

 

Bennington Heights is one of Toronto’s most exclusive and expensive neighbourhoods. Over the years it has been the home of many prominent Torontonians including author Margaret Atwood, whose highly acclaimed novel Cat’s eye, is loosely based on her childhood growing up in Bennington Heights.

 

Bennington Heights is bound on two sides by the bluffs of the Don River Valley ravine and on the north by Mount Pleasant Cemetery. These natural barriers help preserve the peaceful tranquility of this neighbourhood.

 

HISTORY OF BENNINGTON HEIGHTS

 

The Bennington Heights neighbourhood is situated on a flat plain of land, on the crest of an escarpment which thousands of years ago had been part of the shoreline of ancient Lake Iroquois – the forerunner to Lake Ontario.

 

This area was first settled in the 1870’s by John Cudmore and Daniel Ryan, who operated successful market gardens on their respective properties. The Cudmore farm was subdivided for residential development in 1889 and later re-subdivided in 1912. Daniel Ryan’s property, which was located just to the north of the Cudmore farm was subdivided in stages between 1891 and 1946.

 

The first resident of the present day neighbourhood was Thomas Weatherhead, a solicitor for the East York School Board. In 1925, when Weatherhead purchased number thirty Rosemount Avenue he had the Rosemount street name changed to Bennington, which was his wife’s maiden name.

 

The Bennington name was also adopted by the Bennington Heights School when it opened in 1950. This neighbourhood has been referred to as Bennington Heights ever since.

 

HOMES IN BENNINGTON HEIGHTS

 

This area was first settled in the 1870’s by John Cudmore and Daniel Ryan, who operated successful market gardens on their respective properties. The Cudmore farm was subdivided for residential development in 1889 and later re-subdivided in 1912. Daniel Ryan’s property, which was located just to the north of the Cudmore farm was subdivided in stages between 1891 and 1946.

 

The first resident of the present day neighbourhood was Thomas Weatherhead, a solicitor for the East York School Board. In 1925, when Weatherhead purchased number thirty Rosemount Avenue he had the Rosemount street name changed to Bennington, which was his wife’s maiden name.

 

The Bennington name was also adopted by the Bennington Heights School when it opened in 1950. This neighbourhood has been referred to as Bennington Heights ever since.

 

LIFESTYLE IN BENNINGTON HEIGHTS

 

Bennington Heights residents can shop for all of their household needs at the mall located on the south-east corner of Bayview and Moore Avenues. This mall features a popular grocery store, a large pharmacy and a bank. Further north on Bayview Avenue is the Leaside shopping district which contains an excellent selection of specialty stores, food shops and restaurants.

 

RECREATION IN BENNINGTON HEIGHTS

 

Bennington Park, located off of Bayview Heights Drive, has a nice view of the Don River Valley. This park is the home of the Bennington Heights Tennis Club which has two tennis courts. Next to the park is the Bennington Heights School. The school’s recreational facilities include a soccer field, two baseball diamonds, and a large children’s playground. Evergreen Gardens Park, off of Moore Avenue also has a children’s playground. Nature lovers and fitness enthusiasts can access the Moore Park Ravine walking trail from Moore Avenue east of Hudson Drive or from the Bayview Avenue extension. The Moore Park trail is a remnant of the former Belt Line Railway, a commuter train that serviced Toronto in the early 1890’s.

 

TRANSPORTATION IN BENNINGTON HEIGHTS

 

The Moore Avenue bus connects passengers to the St. Clair station on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line. Motorists can hop on the Bayview extension which will usher them downtown in minutes or provide access to the Don Valley Parkway and a network of connecting highways leading into and out of the city.